MENU

Diary of a White Tree

IMG_4514 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

On Tuesday, I pulled into the driveway and squealed with excitement at the large box awaiting me on the front porch. (Side note: in my opinion, the FedEx & UPS men are like Santa Claus for grownups).  There, on my front porch, was my white Christmas tree that I won last week from Treetopia.

IMG_4502

Backstory:  a couple of weeks ago when I dropped the bomb that I was really loving the look of white Christmas trees, we were sitting at my parents’ and laughing with them about how Mom & I are a  little bit Christmas-tree-crazy. Simon was, shall we say,  less than thrilled at the idea of purchasing a tree when we already have a perfectly good (green) Christmas tree. So, I tweeted about my great love for white Christmas trees and publicly thanked Mom on Facebook for her support of my white tree fascination.

The next day, my friend Lauren told me about the Treetopia sweepstakes for an artificial Christmas tree from their extensive & fun inventory. I laughed to myself and entered the sweepstakes on a whim.  And wouldn’t you know it? I got an email stating that I won! I about fell over from shock.  I had pretty much given up on getting one and then voila! I won!  You wouldn’t believe the look on my parents’ or Simon’s faces when I told them!

While my winnings didn’t allow me to get a full-size tree, I’m really happy about my darling little white tree. It arrived today and it’s a really nice, high-quality tree. I’m very impressed with how dense the branches are and it even has little slivers of tinsel among the white branches. It’s the perfect backdrop for some of my brightly-colored, fancy ornaments.

IMG_4501

I’ve been finding inspiration photos for how to style small trees, and I love these two below. I think the key here is putting them in some kind of container or decorating the base in some way. I’m still at a loss for how to style mine.

// source //

Regardless, it’s coming together and looks super pretty!

IMG_4504

IMG_4505

Through the rest of this week, I’ll be decorating it as well as adding the rest of the ornaments to the main tree. Jude keeps scalping ornaments every now & then!IMG_4508

IMG_4512

IMG_4513

IMG_4517

IMG_4532

Thank you, Treetopia!!!  You really made my day!!

, ,

Dig a little deeper

14 Responses to Diary of a White Tree

1. Annie Tucker November 30, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

love the white!!! looks adorable with the bright vintage ornaments!

• RachelShingleton December 6, 2011 at 2:04 am #

Thanks!!!

2. Annie Tucker November 30, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

love the white!!! looks adorable with the bright vintage ornaments!

• Anonymous December 6, 2011 at 2:04 am #

Thanks!!!

3. emily camp November 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I love your little white tree against those blue walls! I also love how little it is! When I was growing up we each had a Christmas tree in our room that we got to decorate each year (my mom wouldn’t let us touch her tree). I wish mine had been white!

• RachelShingleton December 6, 2011 at 2:04 am #

Genius of your mom. My little boy likes to strip our poor tree bare of ornaments!

4. emily camp November 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

• Anonymous December 6, 2011 at 2:04 am #

5. Liv December 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

I just bought a 6.5′ white tree and I can’t decide what direction to go in ornament-wise! I’m definitely taking this decision-making process too seriously. Yours looks wonderful!

• RachelShingleton December 6, 2011 at 2:04 am #

Thank you! I am loving how every color looks amazing against the white background.

6. Liv December 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

• Anonymous December 6, 2011 at 2:04 am #

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Getting ready for Easter // Pencil Shavings - April 3, 2012

[...] it seems we have a brand new tradition! Do you remember a few months ago at Christmas when I won the big Treetopia Christmas sweepstakes? They sent me the most beautiful white tree that I fell madly in love with. Can I just tell you [...]

2. Get the look: Colorful Living Room & Kitchen | Pencil Shavings Studio - August 8, 2013

[...] I’m off to google white Christmas trees because I can already imagine the fabulousness come [...]